Monday, August 30, 2004

IRAQ: ABU GHRAIB

Der Spiegel: 'We Were Supposed to Humiliate Them'

Interview with US Staff Sergeant Ivan Frederick on torture at Baghdad's Abu Ghraib prison.

SPIEGEL: Since the images of torture at Abu Ghraib became public, you have had a lot of time, while detained in Baghdad, to think about your actions. Today, how do you view what you did - as a disgrace for America?

Frederick: I am very upset and depressed about what happened. I'm not a sadist. My family and my friends will attest to that. I was always proud to be defending America. In doing so, I made a lot of sacrifices in the past twenty years, especially since the attacks of September 11. I have always served my country well, even in Iraq - until we were transferred to Abu Ghraib and things got out of control.

No comments: